Choosing a mentor
It helps just explaining your thoughts to someone.
- A mentor is a faculty member or senior graduate student to whom you can go
to for advice.
- You can have more than one, each for different aspects.
Qualities to look for: some one who
- you respect.
- you think will respect you.
- has experience.
- has enthusiasm.
- has no vested interests in your decisions. For this reason it
should not be your supervisor.
- is a good listener. Often all you need to solve
problems yourself, is to express them.
- helps examine difficult choices.
Copyright © 1995
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology
University of Western Ontario
London Ontario Canada
Created 28 Sept 1995
10 January 2007